If there’s one thing everyone can agree on about “Game Of Thrones,” it’s that there’s a lot of death. One minute you’re getting attached to a character, the next they’re a casualty of war.
Ahead of the season finale, Business Insider has gone through every major death in the last seven-and-a-half seasons of the hit HBO series. There are a whopping 109 of them – and that’s only the most notable deaths. We’re focusing on the top 10, ranking them from the most to the least sad.
- Shireen Baratheon: Shireen was Stannis Baratheon’s only living child, and was a total sweetheart. She died in season five, episode nine after being burned alive by the sorceress Melisandre as sacrifice –per Stannis’ orders.By far the most sad, cruel death.
- Hodor: No one was happy about this one. He died a noble death protecting Bran Stark and Meera in season six, episode five. The saddest part was that the show revealed at the time of his death that Bran’s time-traveling abilities were to blame for his mental disability.
- Catelyn Stark: Lady of Winterfell was the coolest mom ever, a total tiger mom – and she took a lot of flak for defending her late husband, the “traitor” Ned Stark. She was killed in season three, episode nine and it was brutal.
- Eddard “Ned” Stark: That brings us to her husband, who was beheaded as per Joffrey’s orders in season one, episode nine. The death that showed us “Game Of Thrones” wasn’t playing around.
- Jon Snow: It was a shocking loss in season five, episode 10. But then he ended up coming back… we’ll see if he sticks around.
- Melisandre: She was painted as a villain – I mean, she’s the one who carried out Stannis’ order to sacrifice his own daughter. But she ended up proving herself toward the end of her life by aiding in the Battle of Winterfell.
- Tywin Lannister: He was also a bad guy, behind the murderous "Red Wedding" and everything. But he was such a memorable character that we had some mixed feelings seeing him go when Tyrion shot him with a crossbow in season four, episode 10… also, he got killed while using the bathroom. That’s no way to go.
- Littlefinger: Arya and Sansa killed him in season seven, episode seven… and he totes deserved it. He’ll be missed if only for being entertaining – but he was a total manipulative, scheming creep.
- Joffrey Baratheon: What else is there to say? He died in season four, episode two and was the most dislikable little boy ever. He had Ned Stark killed, plus a bunch of other people for no reason, and he abused and betrayed Sansa.
- Ramsay Bolton: He loved hurting innocent people, and he killed his own family members for pete’s sake. We give his season six, episode nine death a deserved 0% sadness rating.