Yesterday was the first Monday of May, and you know what that means – stars arrived at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in their very best for fashion’s biggest night, the annual Met Gala. The event, led by “Vogue” editor-in-chief Anna Wintour, benefits the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute. This year, Lady Gaga, Harry Styles and Serena Williams were co-chairs.
The theme for 2019 was “Camp: Notes On Fashion,” a nod to Susan Sontag’s1964 essay “Notes On ‘Camp.’” No, not like sleeping under the stars, more like “the unnatural, of artifice and exaggeration” – basically, embracing being over-the-top and not taking yourself too seriously. Celebs certainly delivered – donning everything from fruit hats to chandeliers.Here are the highlights:
- Lady Gaga didn’t disappoint with her entrance, showing up in not one, but four outfits. She revealed them one by one as she made her way up the steps of the Met, first in a bright pink Brandon Maxwell gown... then a black ball gown… then another bright pink dress paired with a giant retro cellphone... and finally, she did some final poses in hot pants, a bra and giant platform heels while pulling a wagon full of champagne bottles.
- Serena Williams arrived in a bright yellow dress covered in what looked like fall leaves – and rather than heels, she opted for some bright yellow sneakers… kicks that she said Anna Wintour herself inspired her to wear.
- Billy Porter made an epic entrance, carried in on a throne by six shirtless men – and everyone was dressed head to toe in gold. “I was always teased for being extra, and now I get to go to the Super Bowl of fashion being extra,”he told Entertainment Tonight on the red carpet.
- Ryan Murphy paid homage to Liberace in a Christian Siriano pearled and sequined cloak and suit that he said “weighs over 100 pounds.”
- Jared Leto wore himself as an accessory, donning a red, bedazzled Gucci gown and carrying around a replica of his own head. “Gucci, Gucci, Gucci. Gucci head. Head by Gucci,” he told Entertainment Tonight on the carpet.
- Kacey Musgraves was in a Barbie world for the event, rocking a pink leather Moschino dress, a long blonde wig, and a pink hair dryer "purse."
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen were twinning on the red carpet in matching black leather dresses.
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth hit the carpet together, but kept their looks pretty lowkey.
- Janelle Monae showed up in a bold Picasso-inspired Christian Siriano gown, and wore four hats stacked on top of each other.
- Hailey Bieber (nee Baldwin) left her pop star hubby Justin at home.
- Cole Sprouse and Lili Reinhart were all flower-power, the actor in a red suit and Reinhart in a Marie Antoinette-inspired mini-dress and updo.
- Katy Perry lit up the room… because she was straight-up dressed as a chandelier. She had candles on her head and all around her like a tutu.
- Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas returned to the event that first sparked their couple rumors back in 2017 – this time as a married couple.
- Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas also hit the carpet.
- Kim Kardashian brought Kanye along this time, but he kept his outfit pretty underwhelming with a matching black ensemble.
- Cara Delevingne showed up in a sheer minidress covered in rainbow stripes, and a crazy headpiece decorated with false teeth and bananas.
- Cardi B stunned in a crimson dress with a massive train that covered the Met’s steps.
- Ezra Miller has never shied away from bold fashion choices – for the Met Gala, he delivered serious camp vibes with some surrealist makeup that made it look like he had multiple eyes... plus, he held a mask that was a replica of his real face.
- Zendaya showed up dressed as Cinderella, with a dress that actually, and brought along stylist Law Roach as her fairy Godfather who waved his want and caused Zendaya's dress to actually light up.
Photo courtesy of Getty Images