Peter Frampton is ready to say goodbye to the road. The legendary guitarist has just announced dates for "Peter Frampton Finale—The Farewell Tour,” featuring Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Evening, and Julian Frampton, (as well as “additional surprise guests” on select dates) including a date here in Pittsburgh. July 2nd at the Benendum. (Tickets go on sale March 1st)
As for why Frampton is calling it quits on the road, it's because he's been diagnosed with a rare degenerative muscular disease. He tell CBS This Morning Saturday he was diagnosed with inclusion body myositis three and a half years ago, which is an incurable condition that causes muscles to weaken slowly.
He says right now his fingers are okay, but notes, "in a year's time, maybe not so good ... I'm a perfectionist and I do not want to go out there and feel like, 'Oh I can't, this isn't good.' That would be a nightmare for me," adding, "I've been playing guitar for 60 years. Started when I was eight and now I'm 68. So, I've had a very good run."
As for the tour kicks off June 18thin Tulsa, Oklahoma, wrapping October 12thin San Francisco, California. Tickets for all shows go on sale Friday. Check out the first few dates below and click here for more info.
- June 18: Tulsa, OK—Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Tulsa
- June 20: Little Rock, AR—Robinson Performance Hall
- June 22: Montgomery, AL—Wind Creek Casino & Hotel
- June 23: Chattanooga, TN—Tivoli Theatre
- June 26: Memphis, TN—Orpheum Theatre
- June 27: Nashville, TN—Ascend Amphitheater
- June 29: Salamanca, NY—Seneca Allegany Resort & Casino
- June 30: Bethel, NY—Bethel Woods Center for the Arts
- July 2: Pittsburgh, PA—Benedum Center for the Performing Arts
- July 3: Syracuse, NY—St. Joseph's Health Amphitheater at Lakeview
- July 5: Montreal, QC—Montreal Jazz Fest- Place des Arts: Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier