The loss of Tom Petty is hitting a lot of people very hard, especially his youngest daughter AnnaKim Violette, who shared a beautiful tribute to her dad via Instagram.
Reflecting on watching her dad perform just one week ago, AnnaKim writes, “Everyone grew up on these songs. This is real American art made from the roots of real people who deeply love life". She adds, "My father loves music more than anything and always put music first. It's going to be healing to know I will never go a day without hearing his music."
Finally, she notes, "Tom Petty is an American icon because his heart has always put human rights first. We are one. I love you dad, your songs are dreams manifested." Check out her post here and below.
In other Petty news…
- The 911 call made by Petty’s wife Dana York has been released. In the call she tells the dispatcher that she found the rocker unconscious and not breathing, and the dispatcher gets her to give him CPR at which point he begins to breathe “lightly.” Click here if you’d like to hear it.
- Following news of Petty’s death, fans began to gather at the singer’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, decorating it with flowers and candles and playing his music. Check out video to the right.
- Sheryl Crow paid tribute to Petty during her appearance at the 2017 espnW Women + Sports Summit. “I would be remiss if I didn’t say that we’re all playing with really heavy hearts tonight. Not only about Vegas, but [also] losing somebody you love so much and that has inspired us,” she said. In introducing her song “If It Makes You Happy” she noted, “We’re playing in Tom Petty’s memory and we’re gonna play a song that, I guess, in some ways, is inspired by the way he played. I just was a big fan.” Check out video to the right
- Petty's label Warner Bros. Records has paid tribute to him in a pretty amazing way. The label just debuted a huge mural of Tom that basically covers the entire front of their building. Check out the mural here.
- Petty's death has sparked renewed interest in his music, and now his 1993 compilation album, "Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers Greatest Hits" has landed at number one on the iTunes chart, with 15 other albums in the Top 100, and six in the Top 15. Plus, 19 songs on the Top 100 songs chart are Petty tunes, with his solo hit "Free Fallin'" at number one, and four other songs making the Top Ten.
- Finally, as you can imagine, lots of music stars and celebrities continue to take to social media to share their thoughts on the passing of Petty, including Bruce Springsteen who posted, “Down here on E Street, we’re devastated and heartbroken over the death of Tom Petty…I’ve always felt a deep kinship with his music. A great songwriter and performer, whenever we saw each other, it was like running into a long lost brother. Our world will be a sadder place without him.”